It’s been a while since I’ve posted a recipe on the blog – sorry! The reason is I’ve been working very hard on my fitness and wellness guide ‘Lean & Well’. All my new recipe creations have been going it to the recipe section of the guide. However I thought it was about time I shared a new recipe with you all, plus this moussaka has had a lot of requests when I’ve posted me making it on social media.
I’ll warn you that this takes a while to make, about 90 minutes cooking time and 30 minutes baking time. I would usually never make anything that takes that long, I’m all about quick and simple in the kitchen. However, I make an exception for this moussaka. It is so delicious, and produces a whopping 8 serves so it is something I make every few weeks. Probably the part I’m most proud of from this recipe is the cauliflower white sauce. Compared to the traditional sauce in a moussaka, my sauce is bursting with nutrients and still tastes flavoursome and creamy. Don’t fret if you don’t have a thermomix, you can still make this, it just won’t be as easy.
2 large eggplant, thinly sliced
Coconut oil cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1kg lamb mince
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 zucchini, roughly chopped
2x 400g cans diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
few cracks pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup/ 85g light mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 small cauliflower, chopped into florets
500g reduced fat ricotta
1/2 cup reduced fat milk
1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Spray 2 large frypans with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant in batches for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile chop carrots and zucchini in thermomix for 3 sec / speed 5. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the lumps for 6 – 8 minutes or until browned.
- Add chopped carrot and zucchini. Cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper cinnamon and allspice. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Meanwhile make white sauce. Fill your thermomix bowl with 500ml water. Place the cauliflower florets into the varoma and steam 17-20 mins / Varoma / speed 2. Roughly rinse bowl and add steamed cauliflower, ricotta, nutmeg and half of the milk. Blend 20 sec / speed 5. Scrape down lid and sides. Add remaining milk and blend 10 sec / speed 5.
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced. Arrange one third of the eggplant over the base of a large rectangle baking dish. Spread half the meat sauce over the eggplant. Repeat adding another third of the eggplant and the other half of the meat sauce. Spread white sauce over the eggplant. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
Don’t forget to tag me @eatmovelivewell if you make it and post a pic on Instagram so I can see it! If you love this recipe please hit the ‘share’ button below to share with your Facebook friends, thank you!
Nutritional info per serve: